Sunday, December 30, 2018

WEEKLY UPDATE FOR OUR MUSIC FANS!

Well, 2018 is just about in the books. In reflecting, as I grow older, the world keeps getting colder, and the lows and highs seem just about the same. The lows have no deep drops, the highs never reach the top, and I wonder if I should still be in the game. But I keep getting out of bed and moving on ahead, because there’s still a flickering in me to do what I can do to make a difference. Right now, it’s writing songs, playing songs with Siobhan, my favorite person on the planet, creating concerts for songwriters, encouraging musicians at open mics, supporting the shows of my musician friends, and simply being with all the wonderful people I meet at the venues where we play. This past week’s events only reinforced why I am grateful there’s still a flickering in me to keep doing what I am doing.
On Thursday, Siobhan and I hosted an open mic at The Lobby, a great pizza shop and new venue for musicians in Canandaigua. Open mics serve as a great venue for discovering new musicians and new music. They give the up-and-coming musician the chance to develop confidence in front of an audience, and they give the well-seasoned musician the opportunity to test out new material. This is exactly what happened last Thursday, and I loved sitting back and watching it all unfold. Big thanks to the following players for their contributions: Caitlin Aisling, Peter Taft, and Michael Gonzalez! Big thanks to Brian for creating this venue, Jon Willis for asking us to host it, and Andrea and Austin for always being so helpful and welcoming! Finally, big thanks to all who were there to support and enjoy the musicians! It was an absolute pleasure being with you!
We drove out to Hall on Saturday to play a breakfast/lunch show at the New Hall Diner, and it was simply splendid. While Tamarie was on fire cranking out her delicious food back in the kitchen, Amy hustled around out front delivering it and attending to other needs of the patrons. As we sat there playing our tunes, chatting with the patrons, and listening to the hum of conversation in the room, my soul, once again, reminded me this is where I need to be, enhancing the lives of people with music. So, big thanks to Tamarie for bringing us to her diner! Big thanks to Amy for always being so nice and attentive! Big thanks to all of you who were at the diner! It was an absolute pleasure playing our songs and catching up on the news with you!
Tomorrow, New Year’s Eve, Siobhan and I will drive through the beautiful farm country that lies in the midst of Canandaigua, Seneca, and Keuka Lakes. Our destination will be the American Legion Hall in Penn yan, where we will play for a great group of people who have served and still serve in the military. Before we get to Penn Yan, however, as we wind along the back roads of Ontario and Yates Counties, I will let my imagination go and create images of the well-kept farms of the Mennonites who dominate this area. I will daydream about the simplicity that emanates from this group, and will tell myself to keep refining my own simple approach to life. Is this a New Year’s Resolution? Not really. Simplicity has been a way of life for me for quite some time. It brings me an unbelievable inner peace, and I highly recommend it.
Still reading? If so, thanks for being in our lives, and we wish all of you a very happy and healthy 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment