Sunday, September 30, 2018

ROAD TRIP REVIEW!

Have a little time for a road trip review? As I sit in this hotel room in the early morning hours, I am reflecting on the great times Siobhan and I had over the past few days with some old friends. It started off on Thursday in Saugerties, NY, my home town. Siobhan and I visited with Tom and Jeanne Murphy. Tom and I lived on the same street, and we walked to school together nearly every day. Although we went our separate ways After high school and were apart from each other for great gaps of time, whenever we met up, it was just like it was yesterday. This past Thursday and Friday were no different. Jeanne, Siobhan, Tom, and I picked up right where we left off just about nine months ago, discussing our life’s wins and losses. Although we alluded to the past at times, we stayed in the present, talking about our current issues and new chapters we were planning to start. The great time spent with these two terrific people was only enhanced by some tasty libations and Jeanne’s unbelievably delicious food. A big thanks to Tom and Jeanne for being who they are! If you have a friendship like the one I just described, cherish it. It’s one of the most valuable things you can cultivate.
After spending the night in Greenfield, MA, on Friday, Saturday, we headed over to Shelburne Falls, MA, to play at Baked, a bakery and restaurant owned by Gretchen Gerstner, one of my many all-time favorite students. Siobhan and I became close to Gretchen when we played our music at Rose Corner Bakery and Restaurant, a place she owned in Canandaigua, NY. It was a beautiful afternoon in Shelburne Falls, and we got to play our music on the patio. Customers came and went from the eatery leaving us with nods of affirmation, thumbs up signs, compliments, and applause. To sum it up, we had a blast! After the show, we sat on the patio with Gretchen and caught up on the news while enjoying a dish of her famous Mac and cheese, one of my favorites from the Rose Corner days. Gretchen filled us with great stories about her life in Shelburne Falls and Ashfield, where she works as a part time police officer. Her energy, honesty, and sense of humor are still going strong, and we just loved listening to her. She, like so many of my former students are doing great things with their lives, and I love hearing about them or reading about them on FB. After a nice long chat, Gretchen went back to baking, and we headed down the road to Greenfield for the evening.
A little later today, Siobhan and I will be headed back to Canandaigua. We love road trips because they are relaxing and refreshing, but we love the excitement that occurs for us when we are headed back to Canandaigua. We traditionally end each road trip by unwinding with a walk to a local eatery. Like most small towns and cities, the streets of Canandaigua are very quiet at night, especially on Sundays. When I walk in this silence with Siobhan by my side, I am at total peace and feel eternally grateful. Really looking forward to tonight!

Still reading? If so, thanks for being in our lives and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment