Monday, May 16, 2022

GRATEFUL TO JERRY GARCIA!

I have  been a fan of Jerry Garcia since the late 1960s.

Of his many groups, New Riders of the Purple Sage  1969 - 1971), Old and in the Way (1973 – 1974), and The Grateful Dead (1965 – 1995) are my favorites.

I only saw Jerry live one time.  It was with The New Riders of the Purple Sage in the gym of Colgate University in Hamilton, NY. I believe it was sometime in 1970/71, and Jerry was playing pedal Steel and banjo.  He was terrific.!  The rest of my experiences with Jerry were lived vicariously listening to my students talk about the Grateful Dead shows they attended.  Their stories were awesome, and I loved them!  It was my students who really turned me on to Jerry’s music, resulting in me learning the following songs: Henry (New Riders), The Glendale Train (New Riders), Panama Red (New Riders), Friend of the Devil (Grateful Dead), Ripple (Grateful Dead).  Of these songs, Glendale Train, Friend of the Devil, and Ripple still appear on our setlists.  So, a big thanks to my students for turning me onto Jerry!  Brought me a lot of great times!

Here are some of my favorite songs of Jerry Garcia.  Friend of the Devil, Uncle John’s Band, Truckin’, Ripple, Sugar Magnolia, Casey Jones, Fire on the Mountain, Touch of Gray, Box of Rain, The Golden Road, Scarlet Begonias, Sugaree, Not Fade Away/Goin’ Down the Road, Franklin’s Tower, Ramble on Rose, Henry, Glendale Train, Panama Red, Old and in the Way, Midnight moonlight, The Hobo’s Song.  Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4x3bjDHfLf3F22pvXUK7fC?si=a196a929b178472b

 

(Not a member of Spotify?  Free accounts are available.)  

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment