Tuesday, May 31, 2022

SPRING CHICKENS SAVE THE DAY!

Hi Folks,

In the morning, I put on a pair of Bluetooth headsets and grab my phone and tune into WRUR 88.5 .  As I walk around getting my day organized before I hit the treadmill, I listen to Morning Edition with host Beth Adams who gives me perhaps the best account of what is going on in the world.  Unfortunately, it usually contains stories about violence, war, viruses, injustice, climate change, and the never ending political chasm developing in our country.  At 9 AM - usually on the treadmill by now-  Morning Edition gives way to Open Tunings with Scott Regan.  Scott’s presentation of terrific eclectic music takes me to another place, and it allows me to decompress from all the depressing news I just absorbed.  Trust me. I am getting to the point.

Yesterday, the ugly news I received was Maria Gillard, one of the treasured performers in our Parkside Poets’ series, texted me to let me know she was very sick, and would not be able to perform with her trio that afternoon.  I called Scott Regan and asked him if he and his group, The Spring Chickens, could fill in for The Maria Gillard Trio.  Scott got back to me within a half hour telling me the Chickens were on board.  So, once again, Scott Regan was able to let me decompress from some disappointing news.  Not only did The Spring Chickens save the day, but because they were able to fill in for Maria’s trio, it opened up the door for Maria to play in their spot originally scheduled for June 19.  More details about Maria’s upcoming show over the next couple of weeks.

A big thanks to The Spring Chickens for delivering an absolutely wonderful show on such a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  Their entertaining off-the-cuff banter was intertwined with beautiful, sensitive songs.  Three of my favorites of the day were “Ocean of Stars,” Scott Regan; “This Life,” Steve Piper; and a beautiful song by Connie Deming about a Vietnam veteran, "Steps." 

Big thanks to the audience for their enthusiastic response to the show.  Also, it was great to see so many new people in our yard, and I enjoyed how you veterans greeted them with opened arms.  Once again, you made our home yours for the day, and please keep doing it.  Big thanks to all who brought snacks to share.  Not necessary, but much appreciated.

Big thanks to our team, Ray Hackett, Dawn Goben, and Julie Bertram.  Ray and Dawn do a lot of behind-the-scenes work in helping us get ready for the show.  Julie, as you can see from her photos on FB is our resident photographer, and she does a wonderful job at it.

Well, if you are still reading, stay tuned for more details about the upcoming Maria Gillard Trio show on June 19.  No, it’s not Groundhog’s Day!

Love,

Siobhan and Frank 

No comments:

Post a Comment